Monday, January 19, 2009

J.B. FREDERICK - KNOW IT OR NOT - 2006 / DISCOGRAPHY / BIOGRAPHY / REVIEW

















THIS ALBUM CONTAIN(10-TRACKS)
1-KNOW IT OR NOT
2-HALLOWED BE THY NAME(Hold On)
3-FOREVERMORE
4-RIDE ON(In The Name OF)
5-HEAVEN'S END
6-KYRIE ELEISON
7-BALLERINA
8-THE STORM
9-THE LORD'S PRAYER
10-FIREGAZER II
J.B.FREDERICK-RESURRECTION-2004

















THIS ALBUM CONTAIN(10-TRACKS)
1-RAIN ON ME(When The Lord Comes Down)
2-FLAME AGAINST THE WIND
3-I'LL BE THERE
4-LONG,LONG TIME
5-SURRENDER
6-LIGHT OF YOUR WORD
7-LET US BREAK BREAD TOGETHER
8-TRAVELIN MAN
9-HOLD ON
10-FIREGAZER
Take a look to this little Review:
Christian rock with Fat vocals, great harmonies, and delivered in a sound like Styx, Survivor, Journey, Triumph.If you're tired of the same old-same old with Christian Rock, you GOTTA give this an earful..“About a million years ago, I used to cut my neighbor’s lawns for $3.00 a pop,” says J.B. Frederick. “When I was 12, I bought my first drum set for $35. It was an absolute clunker, and every drum was a different color, but I didn’t care. It came with no hi-hat, so I taped a cymbal to my nightstand and pounded on that.” JB recalls, “To my folks’ credit, they humored me. At least until the wallpaper in the dining room below me started peeling. After a couple of months, the neighbors began to get a little miffed from the noise. Most of them fired me from grass cutting so I wouldn’t have money to buy new drumsticks. So much for supporting the arts.” In high school, JB also tried his hand at singing. “I joined the school singing groups and the school choir just for a goof, because all the hot girls were in there. I wound up as 1st chair for All State! Who knew?” The voice also got JB into college. “I wasn’t exactly a brain-trust in the halls of academia, so singing opened the door for college acceptance. They certainly didn’t take me for any OTHER reason,” JB says. What made his voice unique was his incredible range. “My voice had almost 3 octaves of range with no falsetto. There wasn’t another tenor around, be they classical or rock, who could touch that, and the college knew it.” JB went on to do live back-up vocals for artists like Neil Diamond, Barry Manilow and Paul Anka. From there, he played and toured for years as a lead singer with a number of rock bands. “We opened arena shows for anyone and everyone, from Molly Hatchet, Journey, Vixen and Blue Oyster Cult, to The Guess Who, Blackfoot, Twisted Sister, Fastway and a bunch of others that I can’t even remember. That period was like one big blur. I am fortunate to still have a functioning pulse.” When JB embraced Christianity, it was as though the pieces all fell into place. “I sincerely believe that all of the past musical experience was preparation for the mission of music that the Lord has put forth for me. He had claimed me long before I ever knew it, and prepared me. It all led up to this, it led me here.” JB believes that all of the musical stages he went through have shaped his current style. “The years as a hard rock drummer are evident in the heavy, driving rhythm tracks, the Manilow-Diamond days influenced my use of melody and building AROUND the melody, and the rock singing days brought forth the signature back- up vocal sound and style that is immediately identifiable. “ The culmination of these influences? Resurrection (2004) and Know It Or Not (2006). “I am very proud of these works. I absolutely love what I do. If I didn’t have to get up and take out the trash, I’d never leave my studio! I had to learn to be a recording engineer by necessity, along with being a producer, the songwriter, the musician and the singer. (J.B. did all of the drums, bass, guitars, keyboards, lead and back up vocals himself except for the lead guitars on four songs). I’m always pleased when I’m growing, both as a Christian and as a musician. Writing secular music way back when was always kind of a grind. Christian lyric just seems to jump out at me from no where. It is actually a fun and joyous task, not even remotely work at all. JB lives in West Palm Beach, FL. with his wife and manager, Diana Lynn and two daughters Samantha age 8 and Sabrina age 6. “I thank the Lord daily for Diana”, says JB. “I figured out years ago that I’m not for everyone. I love her dearly, and she brings stability, happiness and peace to our lives, both personally and professionally and this project is every bit a part of her as it is me.” Says JB, “Diana is a vice-president for Bank Of America, and she is the financial and organizational genius behind Sandstone Records, Sandstone Management and Diana Lynn Music Publishing. She is the best personnel and money manager I have ever seen. She almost makes me feel like a dummy, but I know I am in good hands.” “The two of us share a big house with our 2 growing children, seven cats, 3 of which are kittens that refuse to leave the toilet paper on the rolls, 1 Husky with the I.Q. of a soup spoon,” and a German Shepherd puppy.“The Lord has been benevolent and good to me,” says JB “I love my life, dumb dogs and all. I’m thankful that my recent neighbors are a bit more tolerant of musical instruments than the old neighbors in my parent’s neighborhood. Cinderblock construction is a blessing, I guess..

JB Frederick’s indie “Know It Or Not” is a whole-hearted return to ‘80s rock, think Meatloaf meets Jesus. Frederick is a multi-instrumentalist who covers all the vocals and every axe but lead guitar on four tracks as well as the arranging and production duties. So “Know It Or Not” is his baby, do or die, with apparently the valued input of wife/manager Diana Lynn. The ten tracks are pretty much driving rhythms, passionate vocals and ‘80s keyboards, at times bringing classic Todd Rundgren to mind (“Heavens End”). Frederick relies on the strings equally (“Ballerina” and the throbbing rocker (“Forevermore”), expressive on both. The latter also has some powerful vocal arrangements,which I would say is Frederick’s strong suit. His vocals are deeply expressive and often quite moving (“The Lord’s Prayer”). “Kyrie Eleison” is an interesting inclusion, a Celtic rocker. “Know It Or Not” wont please everyone but I don’t know that Frederick is out to please everyone; I kind of doubt it. Fans of Styx are gonna love this Indie offering.JB Frederick Artists Review JB Frederick’s new CD project “Know It Or Not” is a journey of your walk with questions needing to be answered and he brings it to you heavy and direct. Lyrically this journey doesn’t let anyone toggle between the lines. “Know It or Not” gives youth a permanent focus that the Lord loves them “Know It Or Not.” As you proceed in your listening walk the power and visual pictures of each song’s images brings the story to life. Each song stands alone with a mighty message of faith and personal decision. It is obvious when JB Frederick wrote the music and lyrics he was tapping into areas of his heart to pull this much energy for us to take this journey with him. Deep musically and lyrically I never cease to be amazed at how he put the journey into motion and you not only hear it but see it. You really know that with God there are no bounds in “Heaven’s End.” JB sings so much from the heart and soul about redemption and the thorns of our Lord you do close your eyes to see the love of our Savior and the song brings light to the troubled soul through forgiveness and our sustaining Heavenly Father in “Kyrie Eleison.” As you are making your journey JB makes it tender when he sings of the love from an earthly father to his child in “Ballerina.” The love just pours through as he recalls her growing up and watching her through the eyes of tenderness as he needs to see her dance again. I never tire of this project and have let it work, as it written and intended, as it airs on my radio station. It doesn’t matter to me who he sounds like or what style, I am looking for the message in the music. JB Frederick sounds like JB Frederick. He stands on his own. JB Frederick is one of those artist that is a given when he comes out with a project you know you are going to be playing it. There is something for everyone in this project for the young and young at heart! Crystal Clear of Whitedove Radio.

The biggest positive surprise of this issue certainly was JB FREDERICK’s album „Know It Or Not“. Besides the unusual artwork which sets this CD apart from the flood of CCM-releases already it is the musical direction taken and the sheer quality of FREDERICK’s songs that make “Know It Or Not” the highlight it is. Expect no carbon copy of the Pop-Rock stuff which rules current CCM-radio nowadays. What you get here is pure authentic 80’s AOR loaded with prominent keys and layers of backing vocals. After the rocking but rather average opener / title track it is the pompous “Hallowed By The Name” which makes you check if this is still the same CD you’re listening to. With pumping keys fantastic vocal arrangements and a killer hookline this track reminds of bands like CRY HOLY, LE ROUX or STYX. As the following semi ballad “Forevermore” continues exactly in the same vein you start to hope that this will be the general direction taken by FREDERICK. And right so, after “Ride On (In The Name Of)”, an epic melodic rocker with another instant chorus it is “Heaven’s End” which steals the show. Another brilliant powerballad which could be called the christian counterpart to “More Than Words Can Say” by ALIAS. FREDERICK has a charismatic voice somewhere between JESS HARNELL and FERGIE FREDRIKSEN and really shines on that last track. The next three tracks „Kyrie Eleison“, „Ballerina“ and “The Storm“ all follow the Pomp-AOR path and only the last two tracks “The Lord’s Prayer” and the instrumental “Firegazer” seem somewhat out of place on an otherwise excellent AOR album. While there are certainly better produced CD’s out there (the production quality lacks a bit in the lower range) it is still very enjoyable for a self released indie CD. In fact I would compare the sound quality with PHIL VINCENT’s earlier stuff. Like VINCENT JB FREDERICK is a multi instrumentalist who has played every single instrument on “Know It Or Not” except some lead guitar parts on certain songs.If your’re an AOR fanatic you should certainly check this CD out!,Fahrig.http://robertigno.webs.com/ Note That You Can Cross(http://www.holymetalrob.com/)